Thursday, October 20, 2016

Spider Ring Roll

We played a fun game that capitalized on the children's love of spiders and encouraged subitizing and comparing quantities. Spider ring roll was a fun and easy way to infuse some math into a small group experience. You can see from the pictures that many children were interested in trying the activity out!
To play this game each player rolls a die (or multiple dice if you would like to encourage subitizing and adding). That player identifies the number rolled and puts that many spider rings on his or her fingers. For example if a four is rolled then you get to wear four sparkly spider rings.
Once every player is wearing their rings the hands are compared. First the rings are counted and a number is identified and then the children see who is wearing the most rings. Player with the most spiders on his or her hands wins the round!


Friday, October 14, 2016

Spider Dramatic Playscape

The children have been fascinated by spiders this week. We have read stories about them and used them as math manipulatives in some of our ten frame activities.  Today the children hoped to bring them outside.
"We can use yarn for the web! We can spin a web ourselves for them!"
The children took turns weaving and winding a light coloured length of yarn around a circle of tree stumps.
This took some coordination and effort as the children had to move over and under the yarn in order to create a realistic web.

"Look at all the shapes! There are a lot of triangles in this web!"  Math is everywhere, even outdoors the children observed!

After the web was created the children used the stumps as chairs and sat in a circle in order to play together more effectively.

As an observer I overheard much rich oral language in the children's discussions. They were roleplaying that the spiders were a family on the hunt for food - this involved turn taking, speaking in role, and the use of specialized vocabulary in order to make the play meaningful and realistic.

Many children participated and although the spiders looked quite realistic, no child was too scared to play.

As an eco-focused school instilling a love and respect for nature and all living things is a priority. What better way to help children appreciate nature then by encouraging them to play with realistic spiders right out in the beautiful autumn sun!

Eventually the spiders were on the move and found new homes in the yard! I can't wait to see what adventures await us on Monday!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Cooking Apple Sauce

A big thank you to Miss Nadine for helping us to cook apple sauce! The children helped to clean and prepare the apples in order to cook them all day in the slow cooker!

They were fascinated by how the gears worked in the peeler and how they could easily take the skin off in just a few turns of the handle!

We used kid friendly choppers so the children could help cut the apples into tiny pieces. This was great experience using a cooking tool as the children followed the directions in the recipe.

The apple sauce cooked all day (and even some of the night) and the children had an opportunity to taste it...

...and then vote as to whether or not they liked the apple sauce.

More children liked the apple sauce than didn't, and the children were able to analyze our chart and compare the numbers in each column.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Autumn Treasure

A big thank you to those families who have sent fall treasures to school! Please encourage your child to fill the bag so that we have many interesting things to look at, sort, smell and touch on our discovery table. 

Monday, October 3, 2016

Water Table Retell

Mrs. Wishy-Washy is a favourite character to explore at the beginning of the year, especially because the texts are so easily read and accessible for the children. We read two of our favourites today. 

We asked the children if they wanted to explore the text further. After a discussion as to who the characters were in the books, the children set to work around the room finding all the animals that were in the books. They decided that they each wanted to role-play being Mrs. Wishy-Washy.

We thought the water table would be the perfect place to retell the events of the text. I laminated pages from the story and attached them directly in the water table for reference with heavy duty clear tape.

The children used a variety of brushes to wash the animals and retell the text as they went along.

It was so much fun to hear the children singing "wishy-washy, wishy-washy" and pass the animals and different scrubbers back and forth!

Having the text directly in the water table supported literacy by encouraging the correct sequence of events and helping children connect the written words to the pictures.

Some friends were even inspired to revisit the big book and copy the pictures so they could have their own copy of the text!

Rainbow Salt Names

Watercolours and salt are a fun activity to investigate colour mixing and the unique way that salt absorbs water. The children outlined their names in glue...


...and sprinkled salt over the name.

When a brush saturated with watercolours gently touches the salt it is absorbed, colouring the salt beautifully! 

The names become rainbow-like and new shades are created as the colours mix together.

We even noticed math as the children created beautiful patterns in their work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...