Friday, April 12, 2013

Loose Parts Provocation with Mirrors

I have been interested in exploring the use of loose parts with the children at home. After gathering some simple, versatile materials I set up an inviting provocation for exploration. I used two acrylic mirrors as 'mats' that would be each child's building space.


The materials were organic and each child was very interested in creating. At first the designs were simple.  


    
After a few attempts they realized that the pieces could be interpreted and used together to form interesting pictures.

A few faces...



A garden...


A roller coaster...

  
Someone's name...



I was amazed at the level of interest and creativity that a few ordinary materials could provide. I believe part of the appeal in this experience was the use of the mirrors, which reflected the pieces back and created interesting effects depending on whether the light hanging above was turned on. In a few days I plan to add a few more materials to the collection and see how they influence the play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...